Problem with Enkei RPF1 16 X 7 and 08 MX5

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
GalaxyGrey

Problem with Enkei RPF1 16 X 7 and 08 MX5

Post by GalaxyGrey »

Brian--

A friend bought Enkei RPF1 16 x 7 on my recommendation. He had a problem with fitment. He sent me a pix but I cannot upload it. Both Front and rear wheels hit a nut/screw at the bottom of the shox. (I know it's hard to describe, if you send me your email I will forward a pix).

I want to buy a set for my car (also an 08) but don't want to run into the same problem. Have you seen this? What can be done?

Thanks,
Alan
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Have not seen the issue.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rpmchris

Post by rpmchris »

'06 MX-5 Sport 6-speed
Autocross junkie!
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Part of the construction of this wheel is that step you see in the picture which massively increases strength...but at the cost of some clearance and it appears that means this wheel will not fit NC in the 16 inch size.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
rensho

Post by rensho »

What offset is the rim?

Seems like an easy job to grind some of the bolt down and give it 3-4mm of clearance.
Rosko

Post by Rosko »

My RPF1s arrived today, and as expected, they did not fit. I have the same problem with my 2006 NC as GalaxyGrey had. Too bad I ordered them before he posted his problem.

I tried to find Rota Subzeros in a 16", but the usual suspects did not have any and they could not tell me if they would fit.

I bought 5Zigen FN01R-C but one had a casting defect and leaked air through a spoke. There was no replacement available so I have to return the set.

I decided to buy a better quality wheel and got the RPF1s. Several vendors showed this as a fitment for the NC. I am extremely disappointed that they do not fit. The wheels are beautiful!

Brian- Your site still shows a 16" Enkei RS+M under the NC section. Do you know if these really will fit? Or do you know of any other 16" wheel that is lighter than stock in the same price range?
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Wasn't it determined that the offset was the problem because the RPF1's were .43?
[b]Kirk "The Captain"[/b] [url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537823]My 2006 MX-5 GT[/url]
Rosko

Post by Rosko »

It is not the offset, it is the design of the wheel. The RPF1 has a stepped support on the inside of the wheel that comes in contact with the ball joint nut.

The 16x7 RPF1 does not fit the 2006+ MX-5. Unfortunately, many vendors still list that wheel as fitting.

BTW, the FN01R-C has an offset of 42 and fits fine.
The Captain

Post by The Captain »

Thanks for clearing that up Rosko. I knew that I had remembered reading about that on the Miataforum last week and that there was a mention of the offset so I thought that might be the problem.

As fas as the 5Zigen FN01R-C goes, I like that rim. Tough choice between that and the Enkei RP03 for a nice 5 spoke design.
[b]Kirk "The Captain"[/b] [url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537823]My 2006 MX-5 GT[/url]
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Rosko wrote:My RPF1s arrived today, and as expected, they did not fit. I have the same problem with my 2006 NC as GalaxyGrey had. Too bad I ordered them before he posted his problem.

I tried to find Rota Subzeros in a 16", but the usual suspects did not have any and they could not tell me if they would fit.

I bought 5Zigen FN01R-C but one had a casting defect and leaked air through a spoke. There was no replacement available so I have to return the set.

I decided to buy a better quality wheel and got the RPF1s. Several vendors showed this as a fitment for the NC. I am extremely disappointed that they do not fit. The wheels are beautiful!

Brian- Your site still shows a 16" Enkei RS+M under the NC section. Do you know if these really will fit? Or do you know of any other 16" wheel that is lighter than stock in the same price range?
The RS+M has more clearance....but I have taken it down off the site until I have chance to see how much clearance there is....very tight even to the factory 16 inch wheel on my 2007.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com