New 2006 AEM Miata Cold Air Intake INSTALLED

Miata Parts, Intakes, Superchargers, Headers, Exhausts, Shocks, Springs, Sway Bars, Brake Kits, Autocross and track mods.
Brian
Site Admin

New 2006 AEM Miata Cold Air Intake INSTALLED

Post by Brian »

In stock! Installed today. No change at idle and under light throttle but feels good at full throttle and makes a nice deep voiced rumble. Not much chance tonight to drive it but more on it soon.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

The picture above shows what you get to do for installation. As with the RX8, you must remove the NC front nose for installation of this Cold Air intake which passes through the front wall and houses the filter in the mouth of the car just under the bumper skin. Installation is very easy...but it takes some time to remove and reinstall the nose. The AEM directions are pretty good and only miss a few details I will note here in more detail tomorrow.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
miataman

Post by miataman »

That's great news!!
Congratulations!

Do you think there will be any problems with water-rain entering the intake system?
Does the intake have any water traps?

Please let us know about any power gains.
Could you upload a sound clip too please?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

I can't imagine going through water deep enough to impact the fitler...but then we live here in San Diego where it only rains 10 inches a year. AEM does not include their water lockout icoupler on this but they do make one so we could likely source that as an option. Will post some pics below to show better where the filter ends up. Note the filter comes with a black mesh cover to easily remove and clean off bugs, etc.
Last edited by Brian on Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Here is all you see under the hood.

Note that I weighed the battery since I had it out during installatin and that is over 25 pounds, and the front bumper extender shown above is over 15 pounds.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com
sloopercat

Post by sloopercat »

How do you change the filter? Do you need to remove the nose again?
Brian
Site Admin

Post by Brian »

Hmm...looks like the filter will come off without having to pull the nose...just take it through the center panel belly pan.

Folks who have not yet pulled the nose off a 2006 Miata, or an RX8, can be excused for not understanding that it takes all of FIVE MINUTES. Okay, likely took me 30 minutes the first time, but now it takes me 5 minutes and I have had it off several times now (sway bar installation, etc.). It is no more complex than removal of the belly pan on the 90-05 Miatas for installation of a swaybar. So, if you could do that on the 90-05 cars, you can do it on the 2006.

I know the pics here make it look dramatic but the truth is that Mazda designed both the nose and tail sections on the 2006 as quick-change items. Thus, they can sell replacement pre-painted MazdaSpeed nose and tails with more aggressive looks and the average guy can order them and easily change them in his driveway. Looks like a big deal...but on this car it's not. Thus, Mazda did not screw up, instead they made it so even the average Joe can easily change the entire front clip of the car and get a totally different look. I think that's pretty cool...
Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com